I had actually already passed by Exeter General Store some days ago by surprise whilst heading out to Heatherbreas Pies at Sutton Forest. I thought this the first time and was confirmed by my second visit, there is not much to Exeter. Not to be critical, this is actually its charm. An antique store, the general store, a church, the local oval, the railway station, all you really need! The concept of the general store still serves its purpose by acting as the cafe, restaurant, newsagent, post office, library, grocer and of course local gossip central!
- Distance: 18km
- Pie Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
The pie special of the day and only pie on the menu was a lamb & rosemary pie. The lunchtime crowd was in full swing and we barely got a table!
- Pies: Lamb & Rosemary, served with salad.
- Pastry: The pastry was soft and made the pie look plump and inviting.
- Filling: A solid lamb & rosemary. The rosemary took the stage in the battle of the flavours. The lamb may have been a little overcooked. We’re being critical as we’ve come off the back of some VERY good pies. So it was definitely still a solid effort.
- Cost: $16
- Sauce tax: Dine-in pie served with a relish included.